Thursday, March 09, 2006

So I watched Lion King tonight. Random I know, but I hadn't seen it since I was 8 years old. Anyway, there was a part in it that I really like. "Simba: Yeah, but it's not easy. I know what I have to do. But, going back means I'll have to face my past. I've been running from it for so long. {Rafiki whacks Simba on the head with his staff.} Oww! Jeez-- What was that for? Rafiki: It doesn't matter; it's in the past! {laughs} Simba: {Rubbing head} Yeah, but it still hurts. Rafiki: Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or... learn from it. {He swings at Simba with his staff again. This time Simba ducks.} Hah, you see!" Although some of the stuff in Lion King is kinda odd (such as the circle of life jazz) this segment of the movie is so true. I'm not sure why this struck me as particularly poignant right now. My past hasn't been incredibly painful or anything. Maybe it's just a reminder from God to learn from even the little frustrations in life. It's so easy for me to just get annoyed and shut God out and not let Him teach me. But that's the same as running from my pain. So I guess the question I seem to be left with is whether I am willing to learn from life. I want to that's for sure. But it's so much more difficult than just saying, "Ok, I'll learn from this." It requires me to let down walls so that God can really teach me new things, and that isn't always the best feeling in the world. Anyway, just a thought from Lion King...are you (am I)running from your (my) past and/or problems? Or are you (am I) allowing God to teach you (me) through it all?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing, isn't it what God can use to teach us or just get us to think. Keep listening for his 'still small voice' so that He doesn't have to hit you upside the head! :) luv ya, Mom

Anonymous said...

I don't like being anonymous but not sure what to do...Yay! I think I've done it!